Last night the speaker at Rock shared the story of the prodigal son. He
told the story beautifully and really captured the generous and gentle
heart of God. He didn't choose to tell the story of the older brother
because his talk focused on our need to repent, and the sweetness with
which we are greeted by the Holy Spirit when we do (therefore focusing on the younger brother).
As he told
the story of the prodigal son, a story which does so well to capture the
gracious heart of our Father, I was sitting there thinking about
justice. Sometimes I just want there to be justice. Why does everyone
always get off so easy?
As I sat there wishing there was more
justice my thoughts were interrupted by the Spirit. With same the
gentleness that He greets a repentant sinner the Holy Spirit nudged me
and softly reminded me that God wants justice too. God's need for justice
is greater than mine but his love for us is greater than I'll ever
comprehend. He reminded me that his desire for justice is why Jesus was
nailed to the cross, and his incomprehensible love for humanity is what
kept him there. Justice in the most beautiful, sweet, selfless act that
we have ever seen in all of humanity. The same justice that covers me
when I act like the older brother and the same justice that I need in
the desperate way that the younger brother did.
No comments:
Post a Comment