i'm reading lots of things right now that are making me really uncomfortable. uncomfortable in a good way. like what if Jesus meant what He said when He talked about the cost of following Him? I'm reading a book right now that says we have highlighters so we can highlight the parts of scripture we like and ignore the parts we dont. i think sometimes i do that.
anyway this quote from the irresistible revolution was pretty intense but so good:
"I remember hearing about an old comic strip back in the days of St. Ed's. Two guys are talking to each other, and one of them says he has a question for God. He wants to ask why God allows all of this poverty and war and suffering to exist in the world. And his friend says, 'Well, why don't you ask?' The fellow shakes his head and says he is scared. When his friend asks why, he mutters, 'I'm scared God will ask me the same question.' Over and over, when I ask God why all of these injustices are allowed to exist in the world, I can feel the Spirit whisper to me, 'You tell me why we allow this to happen. You are my body, my hands, my feet.'" -Shane Claiborne
3 comments:
i just finished that book. he had a lot of good stuff to say. his friends tony campolo, rich mullins, and ghandi, sure had a lot to say to him. i need to start remembering my friend's quotes better. and shane, we get it, you hung out with mother teresa!
mmmm....
thats a great book.
i love what you are learning. and thanks for sharing it.
its been long enough of thinking about reading that book.. i just gotta go do it now
Post a Comment